5. FEW, A FEW, LITTLE and A LITTLE


Few and a few are used with plural countable nouns: few coconuts, a few coconuts. Little and a little are used with uncountable nouns: little oil, a little oil.
  • Few and little are regarded as negative. When used, they imply scarcely any is available, almost none.
EXAMPLE: I have few clothes. / I have got little money. (= I have almost no clothes or money.)

  • A few and a little describe a quantity that is viewed in a positive way, and as having some, but enough.
EXAMPLE: I have a few books. / I have got a little time. (= I still have some books or time.)

  • We use a few with plural countable nouns, and a little with singular uncountable nouns.
EXAMPLE: Only a little water is left in the trough for a few pigs to drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment