COMMON MISTAKES

COMMON MISTAKES

Errors of omission in the use of Articles


Incorrect Correct


1        Let us go out for walk.   Let us go out for a walk.
2        Never tell lie.   Never tell a lie.
3        Always speak truth.   Always speak the truth.
4        I gave him hundred taka.   I gave him a hundred taka.
5        I took short sleep.   I took a short sleep.
6        The vacation has come to close.   The vacation has come to a close.
7        This is slip of tongue.   This is a slip of the tongue.
8        This is slip of pen.   This is a slip of pen.
9        I caught him by hand.   I caught him by the hand.
10    Starvation stares me in face.   Starvation stares me in the face.
11    She speaks English like English.   She speaks English like the English.
12    U.S.A. consists of fifty two states.   The U.S.A. consists of fifty two states.
13    I have got headache.   I have got a headache.
14    He is rogue.   He is a rogue.
15    Don’t make noise.   Don’t make a noise.
16    I have spent lot of money.   I have spent a lot of money.
17    This man is coward.   This man is a coward.
18    Poor are born to suffer.   The poor are both to suffer.
19    Pen is mightier than sword.   The Pen is mightier than the sword.
20    She is in temper.   She is in a temper.
21    I read Quran every morning.   I read the Quran every morning.
22    It is quarter to two.   It is a quarter to two.
23    Of the two brothers he is wiser.   Of the two brothers he is the wiser.
24    I went there in hurry.   I went there in a hurry.
25    Neither borrower nor lender be.   Neither a borrower nor a lender be.
26    Bay of Bengal is to south of Bangladesh.   The Bay of Bengal is to the south of                Bangladesh.


Errors in the use of Nouns.


Incorrect Correct
1        Give me some blotting. Give me some blotting paper.
2        He lives in the boarding. He lives in the boarding house.
3        He is my elder. He is my elder brother.
4        I shall go to yours. I shall go to your house.
5        I received yours of the 10th instant. I received your letter of the 10th instant.
6        I shall buy some fruits, things. I shall buy some fruits, a pen and other.
7        I went to Dhaka, Chittagong, Sylhet and other placer. I went to Dhaka, Chittagong, Sylhet and others.
8        I wrote him yesterday. I wrote him a letter yesterday.
9        I have an urgent business. I have an urgent piece of business.
10    He is my cousin brother. He is my cousin.
11    Reba is my cousin sister. Reba is my cousin.
12    I bought this ring from the jeweler’s shop. I bought this ring from the jewelers.
13    There is no place in the bench. There is no room in the bench.
14    This pen cost me fifty money. This pen cost me fifty taka.
15    I have no money in my hand today. I have no money in my pocket today.
16    I saw a few females there. I saw a few women there.
17    The female students are small in number. The girl students are small in number.
18    I have applied for free-ship. I have applied for free-studentship.
19    Quote this poem from heart. Quote this poem from memory.
20    Learn this by memory. Learn this by heart.
21    He has come this day morning. He has come this morning.
22    We shall meet today night. We shall meet tonight.
23    He gave me fooding and lodging. He gave me food and lodging.
24    The fooding charge is very high. The food charge is very high.
25    He gave false witness. He gave false evidence.
26    He took insult at my word. He took offence of my word.
27    I bought a quantity   of books. I bought a number of books.
28    Keep association with good boys. Keep company with good boys.
29    The weather of Cox’s Bazar is healthy. The climate of Cox’s Bazar is healthy.
30    The climate is foul today. The weather is foul today.
31    Good night, how are you? Good evening, how are you?
32    You are a man of business. You are a man of action.
33    We enjoyed the theatre. We enjoyed the play.
34    This is a true fact. This is a fact.
35    It is a nice poetry. It is a nice poem.
36    Napoleon was defeated in the war of Waterloo. Napoleon was defeated in the battle of waterloo.
37    I have a private business with you. I have a private piece of business with you.


Errors in the use of Number


Incorrect Correct
1        His circumstance is bad. His circumstances are bad.
2        He has obtained full mark in mathematics. He has obtained full marks in mathematics.
3        No pain was spared to save his life. No pains were spared to save his life.
4        I have read the work of tagore. I have read the works of tagore.
5        He feels out of sort. He feels out of sorts.
6        Md. Haque is a man of letter. Md. Haque is a man of letters.
7        I am fond of vegetable. I am fond of vegetables.
8        Three –fourth of the work is done. Three–fourths of the work is done.
9         Three –fourth of the men of dead. Three–fourths of the men of dead.
10    The good of this shop is of inferior quality. The goods of this shop are of inferior quality.
11    No order has yet been passed. No orders have yet been passed.
12    His air of superiority has made him unpopular. His airs of superiority have made him unpopular.
13    The manner of the boy is not satisfactory. The manners of the boy are not satisfactory.
14    He wore a pair of spectacle. He wore a pair of spectacles.
15    He is out of spirit. He is out of spirits.
16    I have good furnitures I have good furniture.
17    I have got the informations. I have got the information.
18    There are pains all over his body. There are pain all over his body.
19    The sceneries of Rangamati are  charming. The scenery of Rangamati is charming.
20    Cattles are grazing in the field. Cattle are grazing in the field.
21    The wages of sin are death. The wages of sin is death.
22    The news are bad. The news is bad.
23    Mathematics are my favorite subject. Mathematics is my favorite subject.
24    Mr. Rahman is a man of words. Mr. Rahman is a man of word.
25    Give me two dozens of egg. Give me two dozen of egg.
26    The sheeps are healthy. The sheep are healthy.
27    He killed two deers. He killed two deer.
28    My son has learnt the alphabets. My son has learnt the alphabet.
29    The machineries of this factory are not good. The machinery of this factory is not good.
30    This house is made of bricks. This house is made of brick.
31    Chairs made of woods are costly. Chairs made of wood are costly.
32    Five hundred taka are good sum. Five hundred taka is a good sum.
33    One thousand miles are a great distance. One thousand miles is a great distance.
34    He gave me many good advices. He gave me much good advices.


Errors of omission of Pronouns


Incorrect Correct
1        The boy absented from school. The boy absented himself from school.
2        I shall avail this opportunity. I shall avail myself of this opportunity.
3        He prides on his brilliant success in the examination. He prides himself on his brilliant success in the examination.
4        We exerted to the utmost. We exerted ourselves to the utmost.
5        The road of Dhaka are better than Rajshahi. The roads of Dhaka are better than Rajshahi.
6        I feel myself feverish. I Feel feverish.
7        Your letter is to my hand Your letter is to hand
8        The patient is out of his danger. The patient is out of danger.
9        I must take your leave. I must take of leave you.
10    A friend of you came to me yesterday. A friend of yours came to me yesterday.


Errors of omission of Adjective


Incorrect Correct
1        I am ill of flattery. I am sick of flattery.
2        I am sick of fever. I am ill of fever.
3        I have a strong headache. I have a bad headache.
4        He gave me a truthful report. He gave me a true report.
5        I feel somewhat uneasy. I feel out of sorts.
6        He is a famous thief. He is a notorious thief.
7        He is my sworn friend. He is my fast (bosom) friend.
8        He is my fast enemy. He is my sworn enemy.
9        The book is worth while reading. The book is worth reading.
10    I was astonished at his childish simplicity. I was astonished at his childlike simplicity.
11    Jewel is devoted to drinking. Jewel is addicted to drinking.
12    Rahman is addicted to studies. Rahman is devoted to studies.
13    The future prospects of these boys are bright. The prospects of these boys are bright.
14    Whole  Bangladesh  mourns  his death. The whole of Bangladesh mourns his death.
15    This is the most unique case. This is the unique case.
16    This is more preferable than that. This is preferable to that.
17    He is more senior to you. He is senior to you.
18    She is an imaginary type of girl full of strange dreams and fancies. She is an imaginative type of girl full of dreams and fancies.
19    He has got passable marks. He has got pass marks.
20    I have less books than you. I have fewer books than you.
21    No less than fifty men were present. No fewer than fifty men were present.


Errors of omission of verbs


Incorrect Correct
1.      He said me a liar. He called me a liar.
2.      He told me a fool. He called me a fool.
3.      He can talk English fluently. He can speak English fluently.
4.      Columbus invented America. Columbus discovered America.
5.      Marconi discovered wireless. Marconi invented wireless.
6.      He gave a visit to our house. He paid a visit to our house.
7.      Cut this word. Pen through this word.
8.      I saw a bad dream last night. I dreamt a bad dream last night.
9.      I wish I was dead. I wish I were dead.
10.  A deaf man can’t listen to anything. A deaf man can’t hear anything.
11.  Mr. tauhid gave a good speech. Mr. tauhid made a good speech.
12.  See the word in the dictionary. Look up the word in the dictionary.
13.  The doctor saw the pulse of the patient. The doctor felt the pulse of the patient.
14.  He will see my papers. He will look over my papers.
15.  He always says the truth. He always speaks the truth.
16.  He refused his fault. He denied his fault.
17.  He denied to help me. He refused to help me.
18.  He admitted his fault. He confessed his fault.
19.  The boy sank in the river. The boy was drowned in the river.
20.  The boat drowned in the river. The boat sank in the river.
21.  You did a sin. You committed a sin.
22.  He made a goal. He scored a goal.
23.  I took my admission to this college. I got myself admission to this college.
24.  He shall give B.A. Examination this year. He shall appear at B.A. Examination this year.
25.  The boy took his birth in noble a family. The boy was born in a noble family.
26.  He has got first division marks. He has obtained first division marks.
27.  I suspect his honesty. I doubt his honesty.


Wrong use of Preposition


Incorrect Correct
1.      Guard from all errors. Guard against all errors.
2.      He will come here after an hour. He will come here in an hour.
3.      Please take out your shoes Please take off your shoes
4.      He was absent at the meeting. He was absent from the meeting.
5.      What is the time in your watch. What is the time by your watch?
6.      The train is running in time. The train is running to time.
7.      Md. Rahman is not in the committee. Md. Rahman is not on the committee.
8.      Divide the mangoes between the three boys. Divide the mangoes among the three boys.
9.      Your conduct admits no excuse. Your conduct admits of no excuse.
10.  I can not approve your such conduct. I can not approve of your such conduct.
11.  I differ you on this point. I differ with you on this point.
12.  He dispensed my services. He dispensed with my services.
13.  We listened what he said. We listened to what he said.
14.  Open page fifty. Open at page fifty.
15.  He objected my proposal. He objected to my proposal.
16.  We will compensate you the loss. We will compensate you for the loss.
17.  We believe God We believe in God
18.  How are you going with your studies? How are you going on with your studies?
19.  There is no remedy of this. There is no remedy for this.
20.  He sat under the feet of many great personalities. He sat at the feet of many great personalities.
21.  He despaired success. He despaired of success.
22.  He came late due to an accident. He came late owing to an accident.
23.  He does not know how to write by pen. He does not know how to write with pen.
24.  This teacher is popular to his students. This teacher is popular with his students.
25.  He is confident to success. He is confident of success.
26.  I took him a fool. I took him for a fool.
27.  We shall discuss about the matter. We shall discuss the matter.
28.  He has resigned from his post. He has resigned his post.
29.  She resembles to her mother. She resembles her mother.
30.  We came to final conclusion. We came to conclusion.
31.  Mr. Ahmed is in entire charge of the whole business. Mr. Ahmed is in charge of the business.
32.  They ascended up the hill. They ascended the hill.

Wrong use of Words


Incorrect Correct
1.      I was appointed as captain. I was appointed captain.
2.      David Copperfield is the universal favorite of all the boys. David Copperfield is the universal favorite of the boys.
3.      He is comparatively better today. He is better today.
4.      He returned back to the town. He returned to the town.
5.      The reason of his absence is due to his illness. The reason of his absence is his illness.
6.      I shall go by the 3.30 O’clock train. I shall go by 3.30 train.
7.      My health is better than that of yours. My health is better than yours.
8.      Your necessity is greater than that of mine. Your necessity is greater than mine.
9.      He can not meet with his expense. He can not meet his expense.
10.  A few number of boys took part in the competition. A few boys took part in the competition.
11.  He picked up a quarrel. He picked a quarrel.
12.  A little number of boys were present. A small number of boys were present.
13.  This is more preferable than that. This is preferable to that


Wrong use of the Infinitive for a Gerund


Incorrect Correct
1.      He succeeded to pass the examination. He succeeded in passing the examination.
2.      He insisted me to there. He insisted on my going there.
3.      She excels to speak English. She excels in speaking English.
4.      My mother prevented me to go there. My mother prevented me from going there.
5.      I could not help to do this. I could not help doing this.
6.      Please stop to write. Please stop writing.
7.      He refrained to pass any opinion.  He refrained from passing any opinion.
8.      He is bent to do this. He is bent on doing this.
9.      I dissuaded him to make a noise. I dissuaded him from making a noise.
10.  He prefers to read than to write. He prefers reading to writing.
11.  My father prohibited me to smoke. My father prohibited me from smoking.
12.  He persisted to talk. He persisted in talking.
13.  He was debarred to appear at the examination. He was debarred from appearing at the examination.
14.  He was exempted to pay the fine. He was exempted from paying the fine.
15.  The students are desirous to have a holiday. The students are desirous of having a holiday.
16.  The man discouraged his son to go to cinema. The man discouraged his son from going to cinema.
17.  You are right to hold this opinion. You are right in holding this opinion.
18.  I am confident to get a scholarship. I am confident of getting a scholarship.

Wrong use of Possessive


Incorrect Correct
1.      I must take your leave. I must take leave of you.
2.      One of his family members is dead. One of the members of his family is dead.
3.   His English knowledge is poor. His knowledge of English is poor.
4.   I request your favour to grant me leave. I request the favor of your granting me leave.
5.   My brother’s all pens are lost. All the pens of my brother are lost.

Wrong use of Voice


Incorrect Correct
1.      The river is issued from a lake. The river issues from a lake.
2.      The girl was continued to sing. The girl continued to sing.
3.      This sentence is occurred in the poem Patriotism. This sentence occurs in the poem Patriotism.
4.      This house is belonged to me. This house belongs to me.
5.      An accident was happened last week. An accident happened last week.
6.      He has taken admission into a school. He has been admitted into a school.
7.      You have mistake in judgment. You are mistaken in judgment.

Wrong use of the gerund for the Infinitive


Incorrect Correct
1.      He came here for playing. He came here to play.
2.      He came for bringing my furniture. He came to bring my furniture.
3.      He went there for getting help. He went there to get help.
4.      He came for seeing me. He came to see me.

Misuse of the Objective form


Incorrect Correct
  1. I was disappointed at the men not appearing in time.
I was disappointed at the men’s not appearing in time.
1.      I have read Shakespeare’s works who was a great poet. I have read the works of Shakespeare  who was a great poet.
2.      These are the Court’s order which should be obeyed. These are the order of the Court which should be obeyed.
3.      I went to the man’s house whom you saw. I went to the house of the men whom you saw.
4.      I don’t like him coming in late every morning. I don’t like his coming late every morning.


Wrong use of Idioms and Phrases


Incorrect Correct
1.      He shook my hands. He shook hands with me.
2.      He was bathed with tears. He was bathed in tears.
3.      Your excuse holds no water. Your excuse will not hold water.
4.      The boy tried with his heart and soul to do it. The boy tried heart and soul to do it.
5.      He copied the passage word by word. He copied the passage word for word.
6.      He promised to turn over a new page. He promised to turn over a new life.
7.      The boy left the hostel with bag and baggage. The boy left the hostel bag and baggage.
8.      He wants a pen to write. He wants a pen to write with.
9.      the old man is in the point of death. The old man is on the point of death.
10.  I turned every stone to give him satisfaction. I turned no stone unturned to give him satisfaction.
11.  He went home walking in his foot. He went home on foot.

Misuse of Conjunctions


Incorrect Correct
1.      Unless you don’t try you will fail. Unless you try you with fail.
2.      Wait here until I do not come. Wait here until I come.
3.      Don’t go there unless you are not invited. Don’t go there unless you are invited.
4.      He asked me that why I was absent. He asked me why I was absent.
5.      No sooner had the train arrived when we got down. No sooner had the train arrived than we got down.
6.      Hardly had I reached the station than the train started. Hardly had I reached the station when the train started.
7.      He read hard because he might pass. He read hard so that he might pass.
8.      Now so that you have come you will relieve me. Now that you have come you will relieve me.
9.      Men work because they may earn a living. Men work so that they may earn a living.
10.  I want such a man whom I can trust. I want such a man as I can trust.
11.  Ten years passed since my father died. Ten years have passed since my father died.

No comments:

Post a Comment