Wrong use of the Infinitive for a Gerund


Incorrect
Correct
1.      He succeeded to pass the examination.
He succeeded in passing the examination.
2.      He insisted me to there.
He insisted on my going there.
3.      She excels to speak English.
She excels in speaking English.
4.      My mother prevented me to go there.
My mother prevented me from going there.
5.      I could not help to do this.
I could not help doing this.
6.      Please stop to write.
Please stop writing.
7.      He refrained to pass any opinion.
 He refrained from passing any opinion.
8.      He is bent to do this.
He is bent on doing this.
9.      I dissuaded him to make a noise.
I dissuaded him from making a noise.
10.  He prefers to read than to write.
He prefers reading to writing.
11.  My father prohibited me to smoke.
My father prohibited me from smoking.
12.  He persisted to talk.
He persisted in talking.
13.  He was debarred to appear at the examination.
He was debarred from appearing at the examination.
14.  He was exempted to pay the fine.
He was exempted from paying the fine.
15.  The students are desirous to have a holiday.
The students are desirous of having a holiday.
16.  The man discouraged his son to go to cinema.
The man discouraged his son from going to cinema.
17.  You are right to hold this opinion.
You are right in holding this opinion.
18.  I am confident to get a scholarship.
I am confident of getting a scholarship.

No comments:

Post a Comment