2. The Second Conditional


The simple past tense is used in the if clause, and the tense in the main clause is the present conditional.
EXAMPLE: If he asked, we would explain everything.
'If' Clause
  Main Clause
If + simple past tense
  would/could/might + infinitive (to have)
If he asked,
  we would explain everything

We can also let the main clause precede the if-clause, as follow:
Would/could/might + infinitive (to have)  
if + simple past tense
We would explain everything
if he asked.

The second conditional refers to the present or future.

We use Type 2 conditionals to describe:
  • what is absolutely impossible.
EXAMPLE: If your father were alive, he would be very proud of you.
EXAMPLE: If I were younger, I would do things differently.
Although the above two examples can use was instead of were as follow, the use of were is more formal.
EXAMPLE: If your father was alive, he would be very proud of you.
EXAMPLE: If I was younger, I would do things differently.

  • a purely hypothetical situation.
EXAMPLE: If I cooked like her, I would open a restaurant. (I can't cook like her.)
EXAMPLE: If we earned more money, we would buy a bigger house. (We don't earn more money)

  • unlikely events or not probable now.
EXAMPLE: If she loved me, I would propose to her. (I don't think she loves me)
EXAMPLE: If my parents restored their broken relationship, I'd* be very happy. (It's unlikely they will do that)

  • imaginary situations that are unlikely to happen now or in the future.
EXAMPLE: If I won the lottery, I would buy a luxury yacht
EXAMPLE: If I married her, I would be the happiest man alive.
(* 'would' is often shortened to 'd)

No comments:

Post a Comment