3. The Third Conditional


The past perfect tense is used in the if clause, and the tense in the main clause is the prefect conditional.

EXAMPLE: If you had planned what to do, you would have done it successfully.
'If' Clause
Main Clause
If + past perfect tense
would/could/might + perfect infinitive (to have)
If you had planned what to do
you would have done it successfully.

The main clause can come before the if-clause, as follow:
Would + perfect infinitive (to have)
if + past perfect tense
You would have done it successfully
if you had planned what to do
Would expresses a desired or predictable result.
could expresses a possible option.

We use Type 3 conditionals to:

  • express disappointment or regret about things that not possible to happen now.
EXAMPLE: If I had married her, I could have been a happier person.
EXAMPLE: If you had taken up teaching, you would have been better off.
  • talk about things that should have happened in the past, but didn't.
EXAMPLE: If you had requested information, the company would have provided it.
EXAMPLE: If I had completed my education, I would have been somebody else today.
  • imagine unrealistic situations
EXAMPLE: If I had worked harder, I would have become a professor.
EXAMPLE: If I had set up a business, I would have become very rich.
  • express criticism.
EXAMPLE: If he had got up earlier, he wouldn't have missed the bus.
EXAMPLE: If she had been patient, she would have got what she wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment