NARRATION



NARRATION



DEFINITION: That is what the speaker says that narration. There are two ways to report what a person says: Direct speech and Indirect speech. In Direct speech, we use the exact words that someone says with the use of quotation marks. In Indirect speech, we report what someone says without using their exact words. We don't use quotation marks with indirect speech, but we have to change the pronouns and the tense of the verb.
1. Direct Speech

Direct speech is the repeating or quoting the exact words spoken by someone. When we use direct speech, we use quotation marks to enclose the words spoken without changing any of them.

EXAMPLE: He said to me, "Be careful!"
This is the Direct Speech. We merely repeat the exact words used by the speaker and keep the exact words within quotation marks.
EXAMPLE: Quoting exactly what someone said: He said, "I'm going to hunt a tiger."
2. Indirect or Reported Speech

Indirect speech refers to repeating what another person says. When we report what someone says, we do not repeat exactly every word that was said. We normally change the tense of the words spoken as what has been said is already in the past. We also make changes to pronouns and other changes where necessary. Quotation marks are not used.

By using our own words to repeat what the speaker said:
EXAMPLE:
He said to me, "Stop singing the same old song!" (Direct speech)

He told me to stop singing the same old song. (Indirect speech)
This is the Indirect or Reported Speech. We use the past tense when the main verb used by the speaker is in the past tense. Here, we do not use the quotation marks. Instead, we use an infinitive (to stop) and we repeat the pronoun (He).
3. Changing Direct Speech into Indirect Speech

When we change Direct Speech into Indirect Speech, it is necessary to:
  • change all Present and Future Tenses in the Direct Speech into the Past Tenses in the Indirect Speech when the main verb (e.g., said, told) is in the Past Tense.
EXAMPLE:
Direct: "Write carefully!" he said to me. (Present Tense)

Indirect: He told me to write carefully. (Past Tense)
EXAMPLE:
Direct: He said, "I am eating." (Present Continuous Tense)

Indirect: He said that he was eating. (Past Continuous Tense)
EXAMPLE:
Direct: He said, "I have found the keys." (Present Perfect Tense)

Indirect: He said that he had found the keys. (Past Perfect)
EXAMPLE:
Direct: He said, "I shall call you tonight." (Future Tense)

Indirect: He said that he would call me tonight. (Future in Past Tense)

  • change the pronoun from first person and second person to third person.
EXAMPLE: –
Direct:
"I have finished my homework."

Indirect:
He said that he had finished his homework.


(First person to third person)
EXAMPLE: –
Direct:
"You have finished your homework early."

Indirect:
He told them that they had done their homework early.


(Second person to third person)

  • sometimes we use more than one "speech" verb if the direct speech contains more than one sentence.
EXAMPLE: –
Direct: "Don't fight with your sister," my mother said. "Get on with your school homework."

Indirect: My mother told me not to fight with my sister. She told/asked me to get on with my school homework.

  • In most cases, we do not change the tense of the verbs in the indirect speech when:
the reporting verb is in the simple present tense (he says), the present perfect tense (she has told us) or the simple future tense (I will tell him).
EXAMPLE: –
Direct:
"I'm tired," he says every evening. (present tense)


"They are late," she has already told us.(present perfect)


I will tell him, "The shop is shut." (future tense)

Indirect:
Every evening he says (that) he is tired.


She has already told us (that) they are late.


I will tell him (that) the shop is shut.

  • We do not change the tense of verbs in indirect speech if they make a statement which is always true or if the action is still continuing and a change of tense would give the wrong meaning.
EXAMPLE:
Direct: He told us, "The world is round."


Indirect: He told us that the world is round.


Direct: She said, "My brother is living in Australia."


Indirect: She said that her brother is living in Australia. (She said that her brother was living in Australia – would indicate her
brother is no longer living in Australia which is not true.)
4. Changes made when converting Direct to Indirect Speech

  • The following changes are made when we convert direct to indirect speech.
shall
to
should
will
to
would
may
to
might
can
to
could
has
to
had

  • The pronoun is changed in person from first and second to third.
I
becomes
he or she
We
becomes
they
You
becomes
he, him, her or them

  • Changes are made to the following adjectives and adverbs:
this
to
that
these
to
those
now
to
then
today
to
that day
last night
to
on the previous night or the night before
tomorrow
to
the next day or the day after
here
to
there
yesterday
to
the previous day or the day before
thus
to
so; (in) that way
5. Reporting a Question

5. Reporting a Question
When reporting a question, ensure the question ends with a period rather than a question mark.
EXAMPLE:
The reporter asked, "Why no one has been arrested?" (direct question)
The reporter asked why no one has been arrested. (indirect question)

Read More

DEFINITION: That is what the speaker says that narration.

Two types of Narration:

1. Direct Narration
2.Indirect Narration


Direct Narration: When the speech is made explicitly without changing the words, then it is called Direct Narration. It is kept in the inverted commas.

At the inside part of the Inverted commas, the speaker quotes his speech and calls it a Reported Speech. In the speech of the speaker, the verb of the outside verb is called verb verb.


Indirect Narration: When a language is changed, it is said as an indirect narration.


**** If you want to know the narration then knows.

1. Sentence is the way to know.
2. Change of Sentence.
3. Change of the person.
4. Change of Verb.


** 1. Sentence is the way to know

1.Assertive = Subject at first.
For example: Tanvir Anam is my son.


2. Interrogative = Wh Question + Auxiliary Verb or Auxiliary Verb. At the end?
Such as: Where are you going? Are you eating?


3. Imperative = Present Form, Do not / Never + Present Form, Please, Kindly, Let's first.
For example: See it. Don't call there. Please sit down.


4. Optative = May At first. End Full Stop
For example: May you live long.


5. Exclamatory = What a / an, How + adjective, Hurrah, Alas etc. At the end!
Such as: What a fine boy you are!

Said to ----- Comma


1.Assertive = told ----- that
2.Interrogative = asked ---- if / wh question
3.Imperative = present form if --- to
do not / never if prohibited --- not to
please / kindly request --- to
Advice --- to if advised
Let if proposed to --- that (may)


4.Optative = wished / pray --- that
5.Exclamatory = exclaimed with joy --- that
exclaimed with sorrow --- that


*** 3. Change of the person.

According to the First Person - Reporting Verb Subject. (I, me, my, we, us, our)

According to the object of Second Person- Reporting Verb (You, your)

Third Person- There is no change.


*** 4. Changes of Verb

Present form is the last form Past form-- had + vpp
am, is, are - was, were
had, had - had been
can - could
may - might
will-should
will - would
must-had to

did - had the next verb vpp
Do / do questions arise time.

*** is not changing

would, could, should, may

For example
Direct: Kabir said to Shawan, "I write a letter."
Indirect: Kabir told Shawan that he wrote a letter.


1. Sentence is the way to listen = Sentence assertive
2. Change of Sentence = told - that
3. Change of Person = I first person Subject kabir So he has been
4. Changes to the verb = present form - past form


*** B: dr = said (past tense) in place of say / shall, there will be no change in verb 4

For example
Direct: Kabir says to Shawan, "I write a letter." Indirect: Kabir tells Shawan that he writes a letter.


*** Rules on passage narration

Rule-1: Reported speech- If any person or animal is used to call the name of a person, it will be connected to the reporting verb. Such as:
a) He said, 'Sheba, do not quarrel.'
Answer: He forbade Sheba to quarrel
b) They said, 'Heru, you will attend the meeting.' Answer: They said to him that he will attend the meeting.
c) Kamal said, 'Nizam, do you know me?'
Answer: Kamal asked Nizam if he knew him
d) 'Where did you go yesterday, Shuli?' Said Apu.
Answer: Apu asked Shuli where she had gone the previous day.
e) She said, 'Will you go to college, Apurba?'
Answer: She asked Apurba if he would go to college.

Try yourself
a) I said, 'Riku, you will come to Dhaka tomorrow with your friend'.
b) Sumon said, 'You did not do well in the examination, Razib'.
c) The teacher said, 'Hassan, you must buy new English book as soon as possible'.
d) The mistress of the house said, 'You need not come here tomorrow, Shuvo'.
e) She said, 'Nipa, you are a very good, sincere and hardworking girl'


Rule-2: Reporting verbs are occasionally or in the end, but they will be brought to the beginning of sentence when indirect. Such as:

a )'You look a little bit like my mother', Jerry said to authoress, 'Especially in the dark by the fire.'
Answer: Jerry said to the authoress that she looked like a little bit like her mother.
b) 'Follow my example,' she said to me, 'and never eat more than one thing for luncheon.'
Answer: She advised me to follow her example and one thing for luncheon
c) 'I have made a terrible mistake,' said the man, 'I have forgotten to pay my exam fee'.
Answer: The man said that he had made a terrible mistake and added that he forgot to pay his exam fee.
d) 'You will come to college regularly,' the teacher said to the students, 'Otherwise, you will not understand it.'
Answer: The teacher said to the students that they will go to college regularly, otherwise, they will not understand it.

Try yourself

a) 'You have to read English more and more,' the teacher said to the students,
b) 'Otherwise, you will not cut a good figure in English'
c) 'Nazrul is not only the national poet of Bangladesh, father said to his son,' But also a rebel poet '
d). 'Most of the students of our college are weak in English,' she said, 'they are not enough in English '

Rule-3: If there are two consecutive sentences, also said / and added / also asked. But if you have 3 quotes then also added / further added / again said.
For example:
 a. Jerry said, 'I could chop some wood today. I will come again tomorrow '. Answer: Jerry said that he had some kind of wood that day and added that he will go again the next day.
b. She said to me, 'What is your name? Where do you live? '
Answer: She asked me what my name was and also asked where I lived.
c. He said to us, 'I came here yesterday. I will go to Sirajgonj tomorrow. '
Answer: He said to him that he did not go to the next day and added that he will go to Sirajgonj the next day.
d. The man said to me, 'I will come tomorrow. I will finish this work as soon as possible. '
Answer: The man said to me that he will go there next day and added that he will finish that work as soon as possible. Try yourself:
a) The man said to me, 'Please, lend me some money. I will return it to you tomorrow '
b) I asked, 'What is your name? What class do you read in?
c) She said to me, 'I sent the parcel to my mother yesterday.'
Rule-4: If yes / no, then the affirmative in reply, and the negative in reply is to be used.
For example: a. 'Yes, I have finished reading the book,' I replied. Answer: I replied in the affirmative.
b. She said, 'no, I have not seen him today.'
Answer: She replied in negative that she had not seen him that day.
c. Jhumu said to Mitu, 'Are you going to Pabna tomorrow?' 'No, I have changed my decision,' said Mitu.
Answer: Jhumu asked if she was going to Pabna the next day. Mitu replied in negative
d. The man said to his son, 'Are you ill.' 'No, I am not ill,' replied the son.
Answer: The man asked his son if he was ill. The son answered in the negative that he was not ill. Try yourself: a Rahim said to me, 'yes, I will go tomorrow! Then I will go to my teacher's house. 'Yes, we will learn our lesson tomorrow,' the students said to the teacher.
c. The rich man said to the villagers, 'Yes, I will establish a college in this village next year.' Rule-5:
Sir / Madam - If you have to be respectfully used.
For example: a. 'Yes, sir,' she replied, 'I have done my duty.'
Answer: She respectfully replied in the affirmative that she had done her duty.
b. Looking at my hands the beggar said, 'Madam, please give me your cardigan.'
Answer: Looking at my hands the beggar, respectfully asked me to give him my cardigan.
c. The student replied, 'No, I have not learnedt my lessons today, Sir.'
Answer: The student has responded well in the negative that he did not learnt his lesson that day. d. The man said, 'Yes, Madam, I have done the work.'
Answer: The man has respectfully affirmed that he has completed the work.
Try yourself:
a.       'Yes, sir, I came here yesterday,' The labore said to his master, 'I will go there again tomorrow.' B. 'No, sir, I have not learned my lessons today,' the student said to the teacher, 'I was ill yesterday and that is why I could not prepare my lessons.' 'Yes, madam, I will go to market tomorrow,' The girl said, 'Then I will inform you in detail about this matter.
Rule-6: If someone is addressed, then start with addressing as brother / sister / friend. For example:
a. 'Are you hungry, brothers?'
Answer: Addressing as brother the wise king asked if they were hungry
b. The captain said, 'My friends, be always ready to face our enemy.'
Answer: Addressing them as captain.
c. 'Dear friends,' the patriot said, 'Listen to me.'
Answer: Addressing as dear friend the patriot advised to listen to him.
Try yourself
a.       The teacher said, 'Dear students, you should be attentive in the class, otherwise, you will not be able to cut a good figure in the final examination.' The man said to me, 'Brother, will you help me to perform the work tomorrow?'
Rule-7: by Allah / by God, if there is to be used by swearing by Allah / swearing by God. For example:
a.       'By Allah,' he replied, 'I will not leave this house.'
Answer: Swearing by Allah he replied that he will not leave that house.
b.      'By God,' she replied, 'I will not go to London.'
Answer: Swearing by God she replied that she would not go to London.
c.       'By Allah, we will play in this field,' the boys said.
d.      Answer: Swearing by Allah the boys
e.      d. She said, 'By Jove, I will come tomorrow tomorrow'.
Answer: Swearing by Jove she said that she will go there the next day. Rule-8: Present participle is unchanged at the beginning.
For example:
a. 'Are you brothers?' Asked the mistress of the house, turning to the dervishes. Answer: Turning to the dervishes the owner of the house asked if they were brothers b. 'Why did you come here?' Said Mr. Kamal turning to the strange
. Answer: Turning to the stranger Mr. Kamal asked why he had gone there
c. 'Why are you not learning your lessons?' The teacher asked the students coming to the class. Answer: Coming to the class the teacher asked the students why they have not learned
**** Or in other rules Rules of Changing Narration According to Tense:
a). Direct speech's reporting verb present tense, present perfect tense, if there is no change in the ense of the verse of the reported speech of Future Tense. The only person is changing. Direct: He says, "I am ill." Indirect: He says that he is ill.
b). Reporting verb is past tense when the verb of the Reported Speech changes and becomes Corresponding past tense. Note: The rules for direct speech from Indirect Speech are shown below:
Direct Indirect Present Indefinite Tense He said, "I write a letter." He said that he wrote a letter.
Present Continuous Tense He said, "I am reading." He said, "I have done my duty." She said, "We have been working for two hours." They said that they have been working for two hours.
Past Indefinite Tense He said, "I wrote a letter." He said that he had written a letter. Past Continuous Tense Molly said, "I was reading." Past Perfect Tense Bellal said, "You had eaten" Bellal said to me that I had eaten.
Future Tense She said to me, "I will help you." According to Modal Verb: Direct indirect 'will' Rita said to me, "You will go home tomorrow." 'Will' Rita said to me that I will go home next day. 'Will' Refat said, 'I will do the work.' 'Can' He said, "I can finish the work." 'May' Pritam said, "I may go to school". 'Might' Pritam said that he could go to school. Wish, would, rather, sooner, it is high time after unreal past tense remains unchanged. 
Direct: He said, "It is time we left the place. 
Indirect: He said that In the indirect speech, "had better" remained unchanged with 1st person and third person. But with the second person, there may have been better or may be changed in the following ways.
Direct: He said to me, "You had better go".
Indirect: He had said that he had better go. may, ought to, should, will, used to, indirect speech remains unchanged.
Direct: I said to him, "You could go". 
Indirect: I said to him If you understand the advice given by "If you were, I should / will ..." while verbally verbing the topic + advise + object + to + reported speech. Direct: I said to him, "If i were you, i should wait".
Indirect: I advised him to want According to Person: Reported speech, the inner first person always changes according to the subject of the Reporting verb.
Direct: He said to me, "I had done my duty".
Indirect: He said to me that he had done his duty. The intermediate second person of the Reported Speech always changes according to the object of the Reporting verb.
Direct: He said to me, "you have done your duty".
Indirect: He said to me that I have done my duty. There is no change in the intermediate Third Person of Reported Speech.
Direct: I said to you, "He has done his duty".
Indirect: I said to you that he had done his duty. Exceptional: Understanding human beings, we do not change in being first person and in indirect speech.
Direct: The teacher said, "We are mortal,"
Indirect: The teacher said that we are mortal.
a.       If we mean both the speaker and the person spoken (to the person spoken), then there is no change in the indirect speech.
Direct: He said to me, "We should do our duty."
Indirect: He said to me that we should do our duty. Some Extra Tips: must have been generally converted into "had to".
Direct: Nafisa said, "I must write a letter".
Indirect: Nafisa said that she had to write a letter.
a.       The first person should be a must have an effect on the future of indirect transition, which is converted into to.
Direct: He said, "We should leave the house if the rent is increased." Indirect: He said that if the rent was increased
c) But understandable forever, there is no change in the must. Direct: Father said to, "You must obey your teachers". Indirect: Father said to his teachers
d) Reported speech When publishing a universal truth (habitual action), there is no change in the verb.
Direct: He said, "The earth moves round the sun."
Indirect: He said that the earth moves round the sun.
e) Use of "say" or "tell" as the reporting word. Reported verb as "say" both direct and indirect speech-this is used. But in the indirect speech it is better to say not use. Reporting verb is commonly used as a direct narration. After Tell, there must be an indirect (personal) object to be set. After this, if the object is to be placed then before the object is settled. tell after it Think you and your friend are talking about reading the class. You can tell your friend two ways in what Sir spoke to a top class; Namely-

1) Talking about Sir without any change which we call Direct Speech

2) To clarify the words of Sir, which we call Indirect Speech



Rules for converting from Direct Speech to Indirect Speech:

1) Reporting Verb will not change the tense of Reported Speech at Present Tense or Future Tense.

Direct: Bran says, "I am ill"

Indirect: Bran says that he is ill

If Reporting Verb Past Tense, Reported Speech must be changed.
                 

Direct Narration
Indirect Narration
Simple Present Tense

He said, "I want to help".

Simple Past Tense

He said that He wanted to help.
Present Continuous Tense

I said, "I am walking".

Past Continuous Tense

I said that I was walking.

Present Perfect Tense

She said, "I have to do my homework".

Past Perfect Tense

She said that she had to do her homework.

Present Perfect Continuous Tense

She said to me, "I have been waiting for you".

Past Perfect Continuous Tense

She said that she had been waiting for me.


Simple Past Tense

He said, "I wanted to help".

Past Perfect Tense

He said that he had wanted to help.

Past Continuous Tense

I said, "I was walking".

Past Perfect Continuous Tense

I said that I had been walking.
Past Perfect Tense

She said, "I had done my homework".


Past Perfect Tense (No Change)

She said that she had done her homework.

Past Perfect Continuous Tense

She said to me, "I had been waiting for you",
Past Perfect Continuous Tense (* No Change)

She said that she had been waiting for me.

Future Tense

She said to me, "I will help you"
Future in Past Tense

She said that she would help me.




3) Inverted Comma ("") generally sit on that place.

Direct: Hannah said, "I am happy"

Indirect: Hannah said that she was happy.



4) The first person in the Reported speech always changes according to the subject of the Reporting verb.

Direct: Harold said to me, "I have done my duty".

Indirect: Harold said to me that he had done his duty



5) If there is a second person in Reported Speech, then it changes according to the object of Reporting verb.

Direct: Harold said to me, "You have done your duty"

Indirect: Harold said to me that I had done my duty.

Direct: Harold said to John, "You've done your duty"

Indirect: Harold said to John that he had done his duty.



6) If the subject of Reported Speech is 3rd person then that subject is unchanged.

Direct: I said to you, "He has done his duty"

Indirect: I said to you that he had done his duty.

Some words change when being Direct Speech from Indirect Speech. These are some of the words in the lower chunks and the indirect speech:

 Direct Narration Indirect Narration
 Now Then
 Ago Before
 This That
 These Those
 Here there
 Come Go
 Yesterday the previous day / previous day Tomorrow The following day / next day
 Today That day

Friends, the rules that we have talked about are applicable to Assertive Sentence. But in addition to Assertive Sentence there are also 4 types of Sentence. Although the remaining 4 types of sentence is a narration like Assertive Sentence, there are some exceptions.

Interrogative Sentence
Table 1 Direct Speech Indirect Speech
 Formula Reporting verb ask / inquire / want to know
 Inverted Comma ("") if / whether
 Interrogate Sentence Assertive Sentence

** If the word "Wh" is created by Sentence then "Wh" words will be replaced instead of if / or.

Example:

Direct: He said to me, "Am I ill"?

Indirect: He asked me if I was ill.

Indirect: He asked when I would come.

Direct: He said, "When will you come"?

Imperative Sentence


1) Instead of reporting verb order / request / command / advice / forbid
2. In place of Inverted Comma (""), To be settled.

3) Do not / Never get it up and sit "Not" instead of "To".

4) If using Forbid does not fit "Not" before "To".
Example:
Direct: He said, "Kill the man".
Indirect: He ordered to kill the man
Direct: He said, "Do not kill the man"
Indirect: He requested not to kill the man

In many cases, the word "let" is used in Imperative Sentence. The word "let" usually expresses two meanings.



Select the correct "indirect speech" of the "direct speech" below



Optative Sentence

** According to the tense according to the reported verb sit may / may

Direct: He said, "May you be happy"

Indirect: He wished that I might be happy.


Direct: He said, "Long live our President"

 Indirect: He wished that his president might live long.

No comments:

Post a Comment