WH-Words/question words




WH-Words/question words: What, Who, Which, Where, When, Why, Whom, Whose, How.

USE OF WHY

Statement: The College was closed for student violence.
Wh-Question: Why was the college closed?

Statement: I have broken the window to mend it.
Wh-Question: Why have you broken the window?

Statement: I did not go to college on account of my illness.
Wh-Question: Why did you not go to college?

Statement: He came late owing to an accident.
Wh-Question: Why did he come late?

Statement: The boy is crying for food.
Wh-Question: Why is the boy crying?

Statement: Dhaka was once famous for muslin clothes.
Wh-Question: Why was Dhaka once famous?

Statement: Mina gave Tareq a diary so that he could write his interesting experiences.
Wh-Question: Why did Mina gave Tareq a diary?

Statement: I want to Cox’s bazaar to enjoy the natural scenery.      
Wh-Question: Why did you go to Cox’s bazaar?

Statement: The programmed was cancelled because of rough weather.
Wh-Question: Why was the programmed cancelled?

Statement: They are always complaining against the mismanagement of the authority.
Wh-Question: Why are They always complaining?

Statement: Smriti is learning English to get a job.
Wh-Question: Why is Smriti learning English?

Statement: He puts on modern dress to look smart.
Wh-Question: Why does he put on modern dress?

Statement: He went to the airport to see off his son.
Wh-Question: Why did he go to the airport?

USE OF WHEN

Statement: I met Akbar yesterday.
Wh-Question: When did you meet Akbar?

Statement: I am coming tomorrow.
Wh-Question: When are you coming?

Statement: Our examination will be held on the 16th June.
Wh-Question: When will your examination be held?

Statement: I will appear at the B. A. examination this year.
Wh-Question: When will you appear at the B. A. examination?

Statement: I will come back at noon.
Wh-Question: When will you come back?

Statement: Computer was invented in the 20th century.
Wh-Question: When was he Computer invented?

Statement: I get up at 7 a. m.
Wh-Question: When do you get up?

Statement: Shakespeare lived in the 16th century.
Wh-Question: When did Shakespeare live?

Statement: I was in Dhaka in winter.
Wh-Question: When were you in winter?

Statement: He delivered his lecture at the end of the meeting.
Wh-Question: When did e deliver his lecture?

Statement: The sun rises at 5.15 am.
Wh-Question: When does the sun rises?

Statement: The plane will take off at 10.30 a.m.
Wh-Question: When will the plane take off?

Statement: At his childhood he lost his parents.
Wh-Question: When did he lose his parents?

Statement: I wrote this poem two days ago.
Wh-Question: When did you write this poem?

USE OF WHERE

Where means in what place.

Statement: I am living in Dhaka.
Wh-Question: Where are you living?

Statement: The letter is from Saudi Arabia.
Wh-Question: Where is the letter from?

Statement:  I put the book on the table.
Wh-Question: Where did you put the book?

Statement:  I come from Chittagong.
Wh-Question: Where do you come from?

Statement: I shall put the glasses on the dining table.
Wh-Question: Where will you put the glasses?

Statement: I am going to Sylhet.
Wh-Question: Where are you going?

Statement: The desk was on the platform.
Wh-Question: Where was the desk?

Statement: I was born in Kustia.
Wh-Question: Where were you born?

Statement: This road leads to Rajshahi.
Wh-Question: Where does this road lead to?

Statement: Rina studies in Dhaka University.
Wh-Question: Where does Rina study?

Statement: They took the wounded man to hospital.
Wh-Question: Where did they take the wounded man?

Statement: The Buriganga flows by Dhaka?
Wh-Question: Where does the Buriganga flow?

Statement:  I am from Australia.
Wh-Question: Where are you from?

USE OF HOW

How means “in what way”.

Statement: I came by bus.
Wh-Question: How did you come?

Statement: I start the engine by pressing the button.
Wh-Question: How did you start the engine?

Statement:  The accident happened when the driver was overtaking the truck.
Wh-Question: How did the accident happen?

Statement: She is a woman of fifty years old.
Wh-Question: How old is she?

Statement: It is 200 miles from Dhaka to Chittagong.
Wh-Question: How far is it from Dhaka to Chittagong?

Statement: Cox’s Bazar sea beach is 120 kilometers.
Wh-Question: How long is the Cox’s Bazar sea beach?

Statement: I will stay here for four hours.
Wh-Question: How long will you stay?

Statement: I want Tk.500.00.
Wh-Question: How much (money) do you want?

Statement: I bought ten pictures.
Wh-Question: How many pictures did you buy?

Statement: One hundred people are coming to the party.
Wh-Question: How many people are coming to the party?

Statement: It is ten taka per K. G.
Wh-Question: How much is it?

Statement: It costs me taka fifty.
Wh-Question: How much does it cost you?

Statement: I am well, by the grace of Allah.
Wh-Question: How are you?

Statement: He drives car at 50 miles per hour.
Wh-Question: How fast does he drive?

Statement: I have been waiting here for six hours.
Wh-Question: How long have you been waiting here?

Statement: It takes two hours to reach Comilla from Dhaka.
Wh-Question: How much time does it take to reach Comilla from Dhaka?

Statement: The boy stood first by dint of merit.
Wh-Question: How did the boy stand first?

Statement: She smokes forty cigarettes a day.
Wh-Question: How many cigarettes does she smoke a day?

Statement: The box can be opened by a screw driver.
Wh-Question: How can the box be opened?

Statement: The pot contains two liters of water.
Wh-Question: How much water does the pot contain?

Statement: This parcel weighs 5 kgs.
Wh-Question: How much does this parcel weigh?

Statement: Thank god. My father is coming round.
Wh-Question: How is your father?

Statement: A book is like a living person.
Wh-Question: How is a book like?

USE OF WHO

Statement: Shakespeare wrote Macbeth.
Wh-Question: Who wrote Macbeth?

Statement: My uncle gave me this shirt.
Wh-Question: Who gave you this shirt?

Statement: Reza stood first in the examination.
Wh-Question: Who stood first in the examination?

Statement: Mr. Badiul Alam is the Principal of our college.
Wh-Question: Who is the Principal of your college?

Statement: My uncle is coming to visit us.
Wh-Question: Who is coming to visit you?

Statement: The minister came to visit us.
Wh-Question: Who came to visit you?

Statement: An unknown boy plucked the roses.
Wh-Question: Who plucked the roses?

Statement: Everyone can do this.
Wh-Question: Who can do this?

Statement: An unpatriotic man dies doubly.
Wh-Question: Who dies doubly?

Statement: A healthy man is an asset to the family and the society.
Wh-Question: Who is an asset to the family and the society?

Statement: The boy is my brother.
Wh-Question: Who is that boy?

Who(m) as object

Statement: I met my friend on the way.
Wh-Question: Whom did you meet on the way?

Statement: I should talk to my father in this matter.
Wh-Question: Whom should you talk to in this matter?

USE OF WHICH

Which as subject

Statement: The English grammar book was stolen
Wh-Question: Which book was stolen?

Statement: You should buy a dictionary.
Wh-Question: Which book should I buy?

Statement: The Parabat goes to Sylhet.
Wh-Question: Which train goes to Sylhet?

Statement: I have lent him Practical English Grammar and Modern English Grammar.
Wh-Question: Which books have you lent him?

Statement: A. Aziz has applied for the post of a typist.
Wh-Question: Which job has A. Aziz applied for?

Statement: The boy attends an English Medium School.
Wh-Question: Which school does the boy attend?

Statement: Tareq and Kamal have come.
Wh-Question: Which of them has come first?

Statement: Of all the poets I like Shakespeare most.
Wh-Question: Which poet do you like most?

Statement: Both these two ways lead to the post office.
Wh-Question: Which is the shortest way to the post office?

Statement: I read in B.A. Class.
Wh-Question: Which class do you read in?

Statement: I visited India, Nepal and Myanmar.
Wh-Question: Which countries did you visit?

USE OF WHAT

Statement: The illness of my father made me sad.
Wh-Question: What made you sad?

Statement: The failure of my younger brother in the examination has upset me.
Wh-Question: What misfortune has upset you?

Statement: The overloading in the bus caused the accident.
Wh-Question: What caused the accident?

Statement: A terrible accident happened yesterday.
Wh-Question: What happened yesterday?

Statement: His ill-treatment made me angry.
Wh-Question: What made you angry?

Statement: I am looking for a saloon.
Wh-Question: What are you looking for?

Statement: A virtuous soul is compared to a seasoned wood.
Wh-Question: What is a virtuous soul compared to?

Statement: I like football most.
Wh-Question: What game do you like most?

Statement: I hope to become a doctor.
Wh-Question: What do you hope to become?

Statement: I want a pen.
Wh-Question: What do you want?

Statement: I said about my problem.
Wh-Question: What did you say?

Statement: They ate rice and fruits.
Wh-Question: What did they eat?

Statement: I read the Ittefaq.
Wh-Question: What paper do you read?

Statement: He wants a book.
Wh-Question: What does he want?

 Statement: I can only write a letter for you.
Wh-Question: What can you do for me?

Statement: I saw some pictures.
Wh-Question: What did you see?

Statement: They sent a big box.
Wh-Question: What did they send?

Statement: We studied English and History.
Wh-Question: What did you study?

Statement: She wore a new dress.
Wh-Question: What did she wear?

Statement: My brother is a doctor.
Wh-Question: What is your brother?

Statement: He is a business man.
Wh-Question: What is he?

Statement: He is tall, slim and has a fair complexion.
Wh-Question: What is the man like?

Statement: It was a romantic film with some really beautiful songs.
Wh-Question: What is the film like?

Statement: They are friendly and helpful.
Wh-Question: What are they like?

Statement: It is a small and comfortable house.
Wh-Question: What is the house like?

Statement: The weather was rough.
Wh-Question: What was the weather like?

Statement: I went there to borrow some books.
Wh-Question: What did you go there for?
Or Why did you go there?

Statement: I did that to help the boy.
Wh-Question: What did you do that for?
Or Why did you do that?

Statement: It is half past twelve now.
Wh-Question: What time is it now?

Statement: Smith is going to speak about malnutrition.
Wh-Question: What is Smith going to speak about?

USE OF WHOSE

Statement: This is my pen.
Wh-Question: Whose pen is this?

Statement: Here are some books.
Wh-Question: Whose are these books?

Statement: Here is a pen.
Wh-Question: Whose is this?

Statement: The car of the Officer broke down.
Wh-Question: Whose car broke down?

Statement: These books are mine.
Wh-Question: Whose books are these?

Statement: I borrowed the umbrella of my friend.
Wh-Question: Whose umbrella did you borrow?

Statement: I like Shakespeare’s plays most.
Wh-Question: Whose plays do you like most?

USE OF WHOM

Statement: I saw Shuvo.
Wh-Question: Whom did you see?
Or What did you see?

Statement: I want the young boy.
Wh-Question: Whom do you want?

Statement: I was talking to my teacher.
Wh-Question: Whom were you talking to?
Or What were you talking to?

Statement: I went there with my father.
Wh-Question: Whom did you go there with?
Or What did you go there with?

Statement: I met a tourist on the way.
Wh-Question: Whom did you meet on the way?

Statement: Of all the poets of English literature I like Shakespeare most.
Wh-Question: Whom do you like most of all the poets in English literature?

2 comments: